December 01, 2008

....and so begins December!

Here it is December 1 already. My mother, and her mother before her and maybe even further back than that, used to keep a calendar of the weather the first twelve days of December. They used it as a fairly accurate forecast of the weather to come in the new year. For example, today represented January (1st day) and January looks like it will be mostly clear and unseasonably warm. We'll see what February will be like tomorrow. I don't vouch for the validity of it all, but it was fun and a happy memory so this year, I am going to try and complete the 12 days - I always get off track after 3 or 4 days!

Today I was at Memorial Sloan Kettering, which will be referred to as MSK from now on. Jack and I left the house at 6:30 am to beat the traffic and there was very little to beat. We arrived at 7:30 so I was quickly ushered in to the lab for my blood tests; I was an hour early for my CAT scan but they took me right away and then a quick EKG. We left the hospital at 9:15 - five minutes later than my original 9:10 appointment. Sometimes it pays to be really, really early! Now we will await the results. Incidentally, the staff at MSK are incredibly kind as well as efficient. One gets a great sense of security from them.

Since we were so early, Jack called his eye doctor and wangled an immediate appointment. He walked the ten blocks back and forth while I sat by the elevator bank at MSK reading.....and observing all the people coming and going. People from every walk of life, ethnic background, age - all with one common link. It was a poignant hour for me and I hope I can carry on with some of the great dignity and grace I witnessed today.

I want to thank Joe for all his support and hard work this past week. There is no way to adequately thank him, so I will keep it simple and say Thanksgiving would not have been as lovely without his kindness and talents given so readily. Karen and Kate were no slouches either but it was extra special to have a man who can actually cook in the kitchen! I must give a shout out to John and Gladys DeMerit who raised this boy into the wonderful man he is.

My Gingie Girl was darling and today I asked Jack what he thought the cutest thing she did was and he replied, "Everything!" I thought that was so sweet - and of course, I agree!

I know I promised photos today but I just can't figure out how to get them into this blog even though Kate has tried to explain it to me over the telephone. I guess I am so tired, my brain is not functioning properly. If I can't cut and paste, I'm lost. I'm gonna' give it one more try.......fugedaboudit. I just can't do it tonight!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: