December 20, 2008

Getting to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

My mouth is full of rugalach so I thought I should walk away from the kitchen and sit down to write a new entry. Sorry I missed a day or so, but I have been baking and or sleeping - mostly sleeping as I feel really tired. I think my brain is trying to get some rest from all the decisions of the past few weeks and the ups and downs of it all. I appreciate all the support you have been sending me via e-mails, cards and notes. I have not been answering the phone too often as I do fine until I have to talk about what is about to happen and then I get all choked up. I appreciate your understanding along these lines. I will continue to post my progress once I start the clinical trial medication on Tuesday. I am filled with optimism in spite of my apprehension.

Poor Karen, Joe and Agnes Rose are still in Brooklyn. This awful snow storm caused their flight to Milwaukee to be canceled - and the runways in Milwaukee were also closed down due to snow so it wasn't just the NY airports. Fortunately, Joe and Karen reacted quickly and got seats on a flight for Monday before the Friday flight was officially canceled. I know Gladys and John were disappointed about the weather but I'll bet they would rather delay the fun a few days then have anyone in peril. I'm happy no one had to drive to the Milwaukee airport considering the photos of Milwaukee on CNN this morning. For sure, it will be a white Christmas out there - and here, too, this year. Now I know I am getting old as I am not particularly happy about a white Christmas. I remember the years I prayed for one!

Kate will be driving down from snowy Boston on Christmas Eve morning. I hope the snow that is predicted waits until she and all the other travelers are at their destinations. I won't relax fully until she is home. I wish her school would have closed on Friday for vacation like the schools here. How ridiculous to go in for 2 days - you know how much the kids will learn when they are so filled with the excitement of the holidays upon them.

I have not been to any stores lately so I haven't heard all the canned holiday music. Therefore, I am looking forward to hearing the Christmas carols and other holiday songs. Jack has set the tree up in the living room where it awaits its decorations. He has to put on the lights then I'll do the rest. It is a tiny tree this year compared to years past - about five feet tall. Actually, if I were a pine tree, I would look exactly like this one. It is short and round about the middle - very round about the middle. (What? I know I'm no slim birch tree bending in the wind!) I relate to this tree and think it will bring good luck into the house. I wanted a fake one this year but this one will do just fine. I love the smell in the house - between the tree and live wreathes over the fireplaces.

We will celebrate Christmas Eve with our friends at the DiLollo house - a real Italian Christmas Eve. We are still full from the feast two years ago! This is a wonderful place to be on the holiday as the house is filled with this large and extended family and they are all so loving and welcoming - there are no strangers at this gathering! From the youngest to the oldest, the warmth and hospitality envelopes you.

Christmas Day will be celebrated at Virginia's house and we'll gather around the same piano we've gathered around for over 54 years to sing carols and remember when we really did live in Toyland....now here we are grandmas and grandpas and great grandmas and great aunts and uncles and other little babes have taken our place in Toyland as should be. We'll eat and we'll drink and we'll laugh at memories that only we share....and perhaps we will shed a tear or two for those not with us this year or in worry for what may come. But mostly, we'll just rejoice in being together as we have for so many years.

On Sunday, we will celebrate Christmas here (weather permitting) when Karen, Joe, Gingie the Elf and Kate will be here all at the same time. It's a time to realize how fortunate we are.

Time for a little snooze!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: