December 21, 2008

Friendship and Hope

Just got in from a lovely lunch with two of the Crones and Ms. Jean Brody (who is still in her prime.) There is something so special about sharing a meal with these high school buddies. It is as though time stood still and we are still the young girls sitting around the table at good old TMLA - except we don't have to crumb the table ourselves (inside joke for TMLA girls.) We ate at the Locust Valley Inn which is rapidly becoming my favorite haunt especially for brunch on Sunday. Today it was so festive in its Christmas finery with a beautiful, warm and welcoming fire burning in the fireplace and Wooden Soldiers guarding the hearth. We laughed and talked about things that cannot be repeated here. Things that only those who know each other well and love each other so dearly can speak and be understood. I guess this is what is meant by the voices of the heart. In any event, I am sore from laughing and Ms. Brody (while still in her prime) and I did not look as though we were in our prime trying to climb into Janice's Suburban. Why don' t those things come with ladders for us short, stout types? Of course being hysterical laughing did not help things along. I thought we would wind up on the snow covered ground for sure as we could not stop laughing and crying at the same time. If I'd thought to bring a camera, I would have put it on video and shared it here as I think you had to actually witness it to appreciate it.

Tomorrow will bring another a trip to the city for Jack and me as we head in for my CT scan; then one more early trip for us on Tuesday and my first dose of medication. Please, I beg, pray that I do not have an allergic reaction to this stuff. It is my only fear.

Jack put up the Christmas wreaths over the fireplaces and they look beautiful. I swear they get more beautiful each year. The poor tree still stands unadorned its lights and ornaments lay in a box beneath it. I think Jack feels the elves will take care of it during the night but I tried to tell him that they only make shoes and toys during the night (and sometimes give directions in restaurants) - not put lights on a tree. I would go ahead and do it myself but I am not breaking with the tradition of Jack doing it. Of many holiday traditions, one of my favorites is sitting in the living room with no lights on except the tree and listening to the tinkle of the lights going on and off in the silence of the night.

Actually, there is one ornament on the tree waiting for the rest. Janice presented me with a little red velvet pillow embroidered with the word Hope. It was an incredibly thoughtful and inspiring gift. Hope - a beautiful word.

Believe!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: