November 04, 2008

Joy oh Joy!

This morning started early enough since I was afraid my alarm would not go off, I awoke every hour and finally gave up trying to sleep at 5 a.m. My appointment for PTS (pre-surgical-testing) was for 8 a.m. - fifteen minutes from this house and Jack was driving and parking! Anyway, it gave me the opportunity to watch some early morning TV and see the lines of people waiting to vote. The testing was simple enough and for once they found a vein on the first shot. I passed the EKG, my lungs were clear and my heart strong. Ironic that - clear lungs - at least I am still breathing.

Jack and I voted on the way home before the lines grew too long. Parking is a real problem at our polling place as it is the local middle school which is in session so the lot is pretty full until the end of the school day. I was surprised the kids weren't off today as it is a presidential election.

Tomorrow is Jack's turn ... he will have his cataract surgery at 7 am. Send some good karma his way, please. He is being really strong about this as he has convinced himself it is a piece of cake.

While I was twisting and turning through the night, I got to thinking of my definition of the "mother" stage of the Celtic woman. (See November 1 installment for details) We tend to think of "mother" as a woman who has raised and nurtured a child or children. Lack of sleep sometimes helps the Crone produce profound thoughts......."mother" is not only someone who raises children but a person who nurtures and cares for other living creatures. Many in my generation are living to "mother" their own mothers. There are those who have given their lives to take care of family members unable to care for themselves. And, don't forget those who take care of animals - domestic and wild. The "mother" stage does not end with the Crone stage but continues on as we continue to nurture each other. Enough philosophy for today.

I had a happy few minutes of "babysitting" one of my sweet girls who live next door. One year old Nicholette (who is exactly 2 weeks older than Agnes Rose) was sound asleep and Catherine needed to be picked up at school. I stayed with Nicholette and Lexi, their little cockapoo dog who has always kept her distance from me. Not today, today she decided I was her best friend in the world and cleaned my face with kisses. She brought me her toys. She barked and woke up Nicholette who was content to lie on my chest with her binkie and blanket until her mom and sister returned home. I have to admit the cause of Lexi barking was MY cat lurking on the front stoop looking for me and irritating the poor dog! I, however, was in heaven as there is nothing more wonderful than holding a snuggly, sweet baby. I can't wait until Saturday as Jack and I will babysit Agnes Rose for the evening. There will be lots of snuggling then!

And then, when I thought it could not get any better, our friends Roger and Yvonne called from England. Roger has always been an ardent follower of American politics and called to wish us a happy election day! He said he would wait up through the night in London for the results. Roger also wanted to make sure that we voted and I was happy to tell him we already had! We have had so much fun with these friends from across the pond. We met when our younger daughters were paired up in an exchange program through middle school. When our family was in Europe celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, Roger and Yvonne met us in London and it was an instant and lasting friendship - more than 15 years and still going strong. We have had the best Thanksgivings when they were able to be with us and the Ferriers and a really fun time when we met up with them in Dublin one year. They never fail to lift our spirits.

So, I continue to live in joy as I await whatever the future holds.

As always, love from me to you.

No comments: