November 17, 2008

Catching Up

Yesterday flew by so quickly that I never had a chance to sit down and write a few lines. Eileen, Virginia and I went to lunch and had such a good time that the afternoon was gone before I knew it. There are no friends like old friends - and we three have been friends 54 or so years but who's counting? We three have managed to survive the damages that childhood and teenage scraps, scrapes and bruises can do to tear apart friends. We've had our differences over the years and we've been separated by distances, too, but nothing has broken those steel bonds of friendship and sisterhood. We've been through it all - the good, the bad, the sad and the hilarious - and came out stronger for it all. Virginia and Eileen are sisters by birth and blood, along with our baby sister, Mary, the three of them have adopted me as their own. We kind of fit that adage which says you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives - only this time, we picked our relatives as well!

Anyway, Virginia is not only a good friend but a nurse par excellence. They let me vent my true feelings about this latest crisis and then assured me that death was not lurking around the bend waiting to snatch me. She explained how the latest techniques and medications would add years to my life and that my only option was to enter this battle prepared to win it. So, that's that.

Today Jack and I went to see our attorney and I signed all those awful but so necessary papers of health proxy and living will. I would never want my family to have to make those decisions for me so my signature now stands clearly and legally for all to see what my wishes are. It was something I wanted to do for a long time but when it came time to actually sign it, I have to admit I did have a moment of hesitation - but they are signed and I have placed it all in the hands of the Big Fella - who only lets me think I'm in charge anyway!

We also dropped off a "permission" letter to NSUH pathology department so they can release a slice of my biopsy tissue to Sloan. I enclosed the check for $25 thinking I understood the phone recording but that was only for processing. They want another $25 to mail it overnight - when it is ready they'll call for my credit card. When I heard it was another $25 to mail it I figure it would be cheaper to send it in by limo.

Mrs. Russo sent me a Guardian Angel medal and blessed water which was delivered by her daughter and my dear pal, Marianne. It was good to spend an hour or so together, sipping our coffee and chatting about life in general.

I want to send a shout out to my readers in the great state of Massachusetts! I drank my coffee out of a Red Sox cup all day! Kate said you read my posts and I am very flattered!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: