November 21, 2008

Favorite Author's Newest Book

Life is filled with ironies. I have been reading - non-stop - one of my favorite authors - Anne Rivers Siddons. I was so happy to find her new book Off Season and have had my nose stuck in it for several days now. One of the reviewers says that you don't just read her books, you dwell in them. This is so true and I have loved her since Shirley loaned me Outerbanks ten or twelve years ago when I was visiting Shirley and W and had nothing to read. Well, the reason I am compelled to share this information with you is that I am mid-way through this great book and the plot unexpectedly turns to the protagonist's mother dying of cancer. Sorry to ruin the book for anyone of you who wishes to read it, but she dies. Dead. I just left the funeral service with tears running down my face for this poor woman. Only me - I would be the only person I know who would become so deeply engrossed in a book to take my mind off my current woes and find out that one of my favorite characters - one that I pictured as myself from the beginning of the book - dies of cancer. First, of course, there are several chapters of her battle with chemo - then BAM - off she goes into the Light. Don't let this stop you from reading this or any other book by this incredible author. It just tickled my very warped funny bone.....and it was breast cancer and it was in the early sixties so times and treatments have changed considerably in the last forty years and I don't plan on entering the Light anytime soon (been there, done that once before - not worth the trip again so soon.)

Kate is coming in from Boston by bus tonight. She is making the trip to spend some extra time with us and Agnes since next weekend will be a busy one for her - ten year high school reunion on Friday and a wedding back in Massachusetts on Saturday. No moss grows under her feet for sure!

I called Sloan and they did not receive the slides so I called NSUH. The slides went out this morning (Friday) which means they won't be read until Tuesday or Wednesday. I am frustrated that I won't have an answer until after Thanksgiving - and, it frightens me to think that two more weeks are wasted while malignant cells continue to party in my pancreas and lungs. I am so exhausted and I'm sure it is because I am not sleeping through the night and cannot think of anything but this party going on inside me. Seeing Kate, Karen, Agnes and Joe this weekend will take my mind off things.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will win this battle, I'd just like to know who the enemy is and what tools will be used in combat. My warriors are all lined up, capes ready!

If you don't hear from me over the weekend, I may be on hiatus enjoying the family visit.

Believe!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: