November 05, 2008

Always behave, you never know who knows you!

First off, Jack had his cataract surgery today and all went well. We arrived at the hospital at 6 a.m.; surgery was at 8 and we were home in the house at 11:30 a.m. Needless to say, having gotten up at 4 a.m. (3:30 for me), we have been having a snooze for most of the afternoon. Jack looks great and it is always a source of amazement what medical science can do today. I remember when cataract surgery meant a life of very thick eyeglasses and now they put the new lens right in your eye - and you have a choice of seeing far or "reading" more clearly. Jack will be getting some reading glasses!

He said to surprise him for dinner, so I am going to surprise him with an assortment of leftovers - meatloaf, pasta with winter squash, salad, etc. With his one eye patched, maybe we can play pirate and captured maiden after dinner (oops, I forgot this is a "G" rated site.)

Secondly, I had another six degrees of separation experience today. The gentleman who drove us into the city has been an aquaintance of Jack's for a few years but I never met him. He got a parking space right near the hospital so he came in to keep me company. Well, I really should have been a detective. Within five minutes, we were so involved in conversation about the various individuals that we both know - and know well. As a matter of fact, our lives have followed parallel paths for many, many years. When Jack could have a visitor after he came down from surgery, I assured myself he was alright, told him to snooze a bit because I wanted to get back and finish my conversation about friends in common. Jack was flabbergasted that his friend and I both knew so many of the same people. I can't imagine that we had not met before although maybe we have but age has a way of disguising some of us. Those of you who know me will not have trouble believing this story! It isn't so strange that I know all these folks and Jack doesn't because he worked around the clock for 35 years and I had to make my own way in the world of meeting folk through church, school, etc. However, we were never part of the neighborhood couple groups because of his hours and working on weekends, etc. I guess this is all part of living in a small town - sort of like Cheers! where everyone knows your name. Some of the dots connected as our kids went to school or worked together.

It is 5:25 p.m. and Jack just walked into the kitchen (where I am sitting in the dark and writing this blog) and asked me why I was up. It took me a few minutes to realize he was disoriented, too, when he asked me what time it was and I said 5:25. He looked at me with his one good eye, shining in the reflection of the computer looking every bit like Cyclops and said "morning?" I said no "night." He thought he had slept through the night, poor guy. I sent him back to bed.

It is also my duty to inform you that my pal, Pat, does not wish to be a Crone yet as she is younger than the other crones (by about 4 months) so she will be referred to as Miss Brodie henceforth as she is "still in her prime."

Time to heat up the leftovers.

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: