January 12, 2009

Udderly Fabulous

When it was suggested (ha, understatement) that I go to MSK for treatment, I was resistant as I had become accustomed to not only excellent care at North Shore by my doctors but I felt safe nestled in the cocoon of a nearby hospital and treatment center. Now that I have experienced the big city hospital, I am so very happy that I was pushed into treatment there. Not only am I lucky enough to be on an insurance plan that pays for everything as long as treatment is at MSK and able to participate in a clinical trial (which I really feel is working and praying not to be disappointed), but I am being exposed to extremely kind and competent caregivers. I don't have to call them with a question, Nurse BP calls me to see if I am feeling ok. Actually, except for the rash (which is healing on most of me but breaking out on my hands), I feel fabulous.

Nurse BP suggested I get something called Bag Balm and the pharmacist is ordering it for me. It is not just for old bags (or hags) but it is udderly wonderful for healing the skin. It is used on cows udders to keep them supple. CVS Pharmacy is ordering it for me and it will be in tomorrow. I was just talking to Eileen S. and she said her hands are also cracked and split which happens every winter. This is my first time with this so I blame it on the Miracle Pill but maybe it has nothing to do with it. Maybe it just has to do with the fact that my hands are in water all the time and my hands are not as young as they used to be. Maybe the Palmolive and Ivory dish washing commercials were full of crap.

My sugar level has remained in the normal range so I have not had to use the insulin, I am getting through the day without a nap although I do rest on the bed while watching TV in the late afternoon. I don't fall asleep as often as I did. My energy level seems to be rising (but don't let that get around as it is my excuse for letting the dust bunnies run wild.) All in all, thanks to all of you who insisted I go the MSK for my treatment. I do miss my oncologist and pulmonist here on the island as they are top notch and wonderful people but all in all, if I wasn't at MSK, I would not be in the clinical trial and I have such confidence that this will be the answer to our prayers.

Winter is really blasting us this week. Normally I would not be looking for ice cream until June or July but since my freezer is filled with Koops frozen custard, I can pretend I am in Milwaukee and enjoy a little each day!

Believe! Hope!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: