January 14, 2009

An Era Ends

Jack went on a search and found the Bag Balm in Glen Cove at the local Glen Cove Chemists. Naturally, a small drug store would be carrying a product that is good for the customer rather than just the profit.


After reading the Bag Balm can (oh, yes, a lovely, square, green, metal can) and the directions on how to apply to a cow's udder in case of cracks or sores, I clicked my heals together to make sure I was still home in Glen Head and had not been whisked off to Vermont farm country! Actually, the stuff is great. I immediately applied too much and it has been taking a time being absorbed into my sore hands but it feels great. I can see why it was suggested I put it on at night and wear cotton gloves - which I will do later. Right now, I am just enjoying the way it feels on the cracks and blisters - very soothing indeed.


Got an e-mail today from my old friend George E. forwarding notice of the closing of our elementary school as part of the Diocese of Brooklyn's consolidation plan. I feel sad that St. Ann's is closing as Virginia and I were in the original second grade, Eileen in the third along with George. Jack and I have the distinction of being the only couple married in the school auditorium as the church was under renovation on our wedding day - we were promised it would be finished but we all know how construction can be longer than expected. It was a disappointing moment in my life as I always envisioned myself walking down the aisle of the church, not the aisle of the school auditorium. But, the service was done as nicely as possible and the marriage is still working after almost 40 years so I guess it was unimportant. I remember my father and my uncle along with other men from the area working together to put the kneelers together when the school opened. The auditorium would hold Sunday mass along with the ones in the church - there were that many attendees in those days. Our whole life revolved around the church and the school. It was the days of the neighborhood where we all knew one another and had safe places to be together. Our era is officially ending.

I am really tired tonight so this will be it for now.

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: