January 01, 2009

Happy New Year 2009!


Happy New Year to you all. Let's hope it will be filled with miracles and hope! Here is a photo of my date, Chik, and I right at midnight. You can't see our hats because of the dark background but trust me, we were both wearing party hats to usher in this new year of positive thinking.
While on the subject of positive thinking, I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank my Godfather, Frank Pascale and his incredible wife, Eileen, for all the kind acts they have done over the years for my mother. Frank and Eileen, who are in their 80s, are my mother's nephew and niece. They are the only family members (besides us) who have regularly visited my mother in her nursing home. Mom will be 98 on the 29th of this month and although dementia has taken over her mind, she is not in too bad physical condition for a women her age. It was not an easy decision to place Mom in the nursing home but she was 89 and the dementia was setting in and we were afraid to leave her alone in the house. For the past nine years, up until Frank (or Sonny to me!) recently could no longer drive due to his own health issues, Eileen and Frank made the trip every other week to visit Mom. It is always emotionally draining to see someone decline as mom has but they swallowed their tears and put on bright faces to visit Aunt Rose.
Occasionally she will recognize one of us - particularly Jack, Kate and Karen - but these moments are rare and fleeting. She looks into my face with some recognition but just can't seem to place her silver haired child. I sense on some level she knows me and she clearly asked me (immediately after my latest diagnosis) if I was alright. Being a mother, I suspect that on some level, you always know when something is not quite right with your child - even if you no longer recognize that child.
But I digress as usual, this started off as a homage to Frank and Eileen who truly live the elements of their faith. They do not just give lip service on Sunday morning and I will forever be grateful for their corporal acts of mercy visiting my mother and the understanding and compassion that they have shown to me and my family. I pray that God will keep them in the hollow of His hand.

My wild New Year's Eve with my children and grandchild - and let us not leave out Chik - has left me exhausted. After all, they made me stay up past midnight. I was so awake that I stayed up until 1:30 am reading and watching tv until the fire in the fireplace turned to embers. I am feeling this change of pace now and will probably head for the nice soft bed and snuggle up in the blankets very soon.
Incidentally, to give credit where it is due, last night Karen cooked a delicious meal of chicken parm and angel hair spaghetti. She even made homemade sauce which was far better than any I've ever made (that gene must have skipped a generation.) We all enjoyed it very much - and Chik was delighted we were following her advice to eat more chiken.
So, my friends, keep praying for me and all those facing bumps in the road this year. Your kind words and support make the whole process so much easier to accept.
Happy New Year!
Believe! Hope!
As always, love from me to you!


No comments: