January 05, 2009

Monday with Dr. Lung O & Co.


The photo above is my small hutch. Notice the elves. If this photo makes no sense to you, that is ok as this photo is here for two people who know who they are. I have had these elves since I was a little girl and I love them. They, and my angel on the treetop, are my favorite Christmas decorations. However, a couple of my friends were having trouble with elves a few weeks back and I thought they would enjoy this photo. Besides, I haven't heard from them in a long time and I hope that they are alright!


Just got in from MSK and my two week check up. Things are ok although they lowered my dosage from 50 to 40 to see if it relieved my intestinal woes. I said the clinical drug was not the cause of my woes but taking my diabetes meds with it caused the woes. I said I had not taken my diabetes medication in almost a week and no woes. So, here is the compromise. I take 40 not 50 (mgs or mms or pgs or whatever the dosage is) and take my sugar levels 2 times a day. I have been prescribed insulin on a sliding scale. Even though my sugar has remained stable and not high, just in case it goes up, I am to give myself a shot and the units will depend on the variation in the sugar level. I now have another chart to gaze upon. Actually, the new insulin is pretty cool in its own dispenser and I just have to attach a needle head and dial the dosage. Better than loading the syringe and handling the glass bottle of insulin. I also now have an ointment for the rash as the powder was everywhere but where it should have been!

A mother and daughter sat near Jack and I in the waiting room and as we made eye contact we started chatting. Jack went to the pharmacy for my medications and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting these two ladies. The mom had lung cancer 17 years ago and it has just kicked in again. She also comes from Long Island so we had lots to chat about regarding treatments etc. Her daughter was also someone you would want to know. She was a bit older than Karen and had children in school. We shared a lot of information considering we just met regarding our health and other life situations. But then, when cancer is your common denominator, the word "stranger" just doesn't enter the picture. Meeting them, sharing a few laughs and a few philosophies made a long, dreary day an uplifting and cheerful experience. I hope they felt the same as we parted company. I also hope I run into them again although it would be nice if it weren't in the waiting room of Dr. Lung O and Co.

As usual, the nurse practitioner, Nurse Beautiful Person for she is, inside and out and will be known as Nurse B.P., was incredibly kind and knowledgeable and answered my questions so patiently. I know this is what should be the norm but it is always so outstanding when it happens! She was the one who made my insulin chart and explained the use of the new insulin injection system. She always makes sure I have her direct line and an emergency night line and that I feel free to use it if I need it. It is just so comforting to know that help is a phone call away 24/7.

Crone McMahon is in town for several hours, oops, I mean a day or two, and we were going to catch some coffee or lunch today but Jack and I didn't get back home until almost 3 and we decided to grab a late lunch and skip dinner. We went to the local hamburger pub and just as we sat down, the waitress said she was sorry but the kitchen was closed until 5. Lunch is over at 3. We just missed it. AUGGGGH! We are very hungry since we came home but are going back at 5. This is not going to stop me from eating out and not cooking tonight. Hopefully, I will see Crone McMahon tomorrow before she sets out again on another field trip.
Each time I visit MSK, I feel more secure in my belief that I will win this battle. I just feel it in the center of my being.
Believe! Hope!
As always, love from me to you!


No comments: