February 12, 2009

Twinkle Toes No More

I took the plunge today and went to the podiatrist. Let me begin by telling you that my podiatrist is not just any old foot doctor, he was a model in Seventeen magazine when I, and Seventeen and he, were just youngsters. Having said that, he is a wonderful podiatrist and not too hard on the eyes. However, I had done some "bathroom surgery" myself a few months ago and my big toe was kind of sore but with all else going on, I just ignored it. Then the other big toe started an ingrown and I let it alone figuring I'd make an appointment. Well, it took me until the toenail was long enough to scratch my knee before I made the appointment for today. Dr. Seventeen was not pleased with the two, hugely infected toes I presented him with expecting an instant healing. Well, he did some very uncomfortable (I did not scream) surgery on both, put me on a major antibiotic and cream and orders to soak my feet in Epsom Salts and extracted a promise that I would never ignore this type of problem again. I told him that he never hurt me before - I actually thought he was going to extract a tooth through the toe. I now have added this procedure to the five most painful things ever endured by me - right up there with childbirth, kidney stones, lung needle biopsies and tendonitis in my legs. I left out the nightmare of lung surgery without post surgical pain medication....that took the prize. He was very surprised that I said it hurt but to be fair, I never waited this long for treatment.

So, here I am with both big toes wrapped and sending off major heat. Guess they were pretty bad and now I will have to give up my career in ballet. Toe dancing seems to be out for good. What dumb things we do to ourselves! I put that in the plural because I am sure I am not alone in putting off health matters that would be almost nothing if resolved early but turn into nightmares when procrastination wins.

Fortunately he put me on Levaquin which I was taking for my chest cold and UTI as the UTI has returned and my cold is still not totally gone. Now at least I feel as though I am taking care of more than one thing at a time.

Tomorrow we head in to MSK for THE CT scan and an echo sonogram. I only hope and pray that the Miracle Pills have been doing their thing. I won't know anything until Monday when I meet with the team so don't look for any results until then.

Tomorrow is Kate's birthday. She is coming home on Sunday so we will celebrate then. Hard to believe how swiftly the years fly. We are all looking forward to seeing her.

Pray extra tomorrow!

Believe! Hope!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: