Saturday was Bernadette’s first birthday. Her Mama and Papa hosted a lovely party in her honor at noon for her little friends and for dinner for the family and her aunts and uncles. Karen and Joe made two lasagnas-both delicious. Karen and Ag baked cookies and Joe made cupcakes and cakes to celebrate both Bernadette’s special day and Ben’s birthday which was on the 8th. Honey Bee, because she is as sweet as honey, laughed and clapped and enjoyed everyone singing “Happy Birthday!”
Monday, Agnes Rose, Bernadette, Karen, Joe, Jack and I headed into the Big Apple to see the tree, have lunch and go to Radio City to see the Christmas Show. Karen and Bernadette did not go to the show but visited I’d with Bernadette’s godmother, Lisa. The rest of us, however, not only got to see the show but through the courtesy of Joe and Karen’s neighbor, Eric, we got a tour of the backstage – even got to meet the camels. Agnes Rose got a chance to peek t
hrough the curtain to see the “house” from the stage. I was so thrilled to be on that famous stage, I started to cry. Eric asked me why and I said I’d been going to Radio City with my mother for Christmas and Easter every year of my childhood and never did I imagine be standing on that famous stage. Well, Eric brought me immediately to the front of the curtain and there I stood facing the whole house. I could hear the applause – at least in my head – as I imagined myself able to dance like a Rockette!
Well, you would think that this was enough excitement for one day but there is more!
As we walked from the tree over to Radio City, I noticed a fellow who is on an NBC show here at 5 pm (LX-NY.) His name is Ben Aarons and he is a young, roving reporter. I smiled and said hello as we walked passed. He stopped me. STOPPED ME. Asked if I was familiar with the song 12 Days of Christmas. Is the pope Catholic? Of course, the words flew right out of my head with all those geese and calling birds and other winged creatures. I could start at the first day but NO, we had to go from 12 to 1. Total blank. Joe and Karen were acting out the Lords Leaping and the Maids Dancing but I was too infatuated with Ben’s arm around me (and mine around him) to understand what they were doing. All I really remember is a lot of laughing by me, Ben and the cameraman as I was too shocked to be nervous and was very relaxed and quite humorous (I think, although I could have looked like a total jackass.) I am hoping one of my pals got a copy of it and I will try to get a video of it from NBC or from the internet. Meanwhile, I had my 15 minutes of fame (well, 60 seconds) and no one knew it was on. None of my family even thought to grab the camera and take a photo of me and MY BEN. I now have my OWN BEN.
There’s more – I walked from 56 St. and Lexington Avenue to Radio City and then back again. My legs did not hurt and I did not run out of breath. That was probably the most miraculous thing of all!
Believe!
As always, love from me to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment