Yesterday as I dressed to meet the girls for lunch (girls being my high school buddies, Marie, Pat and Janice) I was half listening to a news report about a potential shooting in Connecticut. I honestly wasn't paying that much attention as my head and heart were filled with the happy memories of the Christmas Concert the night before at Agnes' parochial school. It thrilled me to the core and brought back all the Christmas concerts (and St. Paddy's Day Concerts) at St. Ann's. All the faces and places, all the sounds of Christmas carols and holiday songs as the good nuns produced winter wonderlands for each class. I remember "Winter Wonderland" and a dance with a boy partner in second grade - oh, my! His name was Michael and sadly, he was battling a childhood cancer at a time when there was no cure. I think of him every Christmas season and remembered him as I listened to the children singing. I watched the music teacher playing the piano but it wasn't her that I saw but Dorothy Forbes, Kay Wardach or for a short time a nun whose name escapes me but who had been blessed with the most beautiful hands and long fingers. Hands my mother would always call "piano hands." I was thinking of the hours and hours that Mrs. Forbes and Mrs. Wardach donated to our school to rehearse and accompany our final performances. What a gift to us! What patience. Although after seeing the children's happiness the other night I realized we must have also been adorable at that time in our lives!
Lunch was the great fun it always is when we get together - a little more festive because of the Christmas season. Remembering Christmas past and planning Christmas present - and asking softly for the gift of Christmas future - we were totally oblivious to what was going on in our neighboring state of Connecticut.
Marie drove me home (I am not allowed to drive until February although there is no record that I had a seizure - I guess I am on my honor.) As I entered the house I turned on the television as is my habit and at that moment my heart broke. How could this be? How could someone shoot these innocent babies as they sat in their classrooms? Can we pray hard enough to bring some comfort to these families? Can we pray hard enough to bring comfort to ourselves? Even writing this now, a pain starts near my heart. I've seen this pain up close when two young men not yet 20 died three months apart - young men who were the sons of two close friends of mine. I'd seen these boys grow to manhood and loved them dearly. I still miss them and it has been eleven years. I can only imagine how their parents feel. And now this - the Governor of Connecticut has it right when he says EVIL has visited that town. Evil seems to be visiting many places. We need to turn back to God.
I have been very concerned with my own health issues. This was a strong reminder that none of us know when our time on earth will end. That is in God's Hands. We can only live each day with love and forgiveness; kindness and gratitude. I believe that the children's Guardian Angels wrapped them in their wings and protected them from fear during their last moments on this earth. I know a tender and loving Father greeted them on the other side. May that same tender Father send comfort and peace to their families.
Although it is sometimes very hard.....
Believe!
As always, love from me to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment