I cannot believe it but today I became another victim of identity theft. I had a call today from an internet firm to confirm an order that I placed to have a personal "domain" on line. I had no idea what they were talking about and told them that. The gal said it must have been fraudulent and I assumed canceled it. It took awhile for it to sink it that someone was using my name to order something.
I went to pay my Amex bill on line and decided to check my "Recent Activities" which is what will show up on next month's bill. Well, someone had a rollicking good time at my expense on March 21. I called Amex and they took care of my problem, canceled my card and erased the charges. They told me a charge for a Hewlett Packard computer for over $1000 was requested but turned down because Amex thought it was not quite right. I love Amex. I haven't been using the card very often except I did order something from "TV Products on Line" recently and I just learned from Kate that you should never order anything unless there is a yellow lock appearing that assures you that the site is "guarded" against theft of information. This one did not have that and I suspect - since it is the only "new" site I've used - that whatever happened was caused by that stupid order of sponges.....but I really love those miracle sponges and they used to have them on QVC and they are no longer availabe that way.
Anyway, Karen and Joe advised me to contact one of the credit bureaus which I did and now there is a lock on all of my personal information, including social security. Amex is tracing the culprits and if they find out who did this, I will press charges if given the opportunity. They wracked up almost $1000 and it would have been more if the computer was allowed and if the domain company wasn't honorable enough to alert me - even if it was by accident.
Sorry I haven't written for awhile but nothing much has happened. I fear being a bore.
I am feeling pretty good - a little tired but that is to be expected from the miracle pill. My big toes are swollen red and I have an occasional rash on my hands and other parts of my body which comes and goes. When it comes, Bag Balm is the solution as it appears a burned skin - actually it does burn a bit. But, I can live with these minor inconveniences. Tomorrow I am going out to lunch with two neighborhood friends who were unaware that my health was fairly good. They were going to visit because they thought I was too weak to go anywhere. Ha! I am never to weak to go out to eat.
Believe! Hope!
As always, love from me to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment