March 03, 2009

Chia Pet

I'm ready for the snow storm. See story below.

I did not want to hurt my hairdresser's feelings by writing about my latest haircut but I can't resist. Before I say anything further, she is the BEST hairdresser I have ever had. She did our hair for Karen's wedding and we will follow her anywhere. Kate comes down from Boston to have this gal cut her hair. I had put off having a haircut for literally months....everything seemed to prevent me from getting a trim since before Halloween. I really had in mind a short pixie haircut like Jaime Lee Curtis or Posh Spice - short and sassy. My hairdresser just would not go as short as I wanted so when I made my appointment for Valentine's Day, I made up my mind I was going to insist on a pixie.
Well, the receptionist called and asked me to come in several hours earlier as the father of my hairdresser was dying and she was leaving early. I should have been understanding and said forget about it. I'll come in a few weeks but I was not thinking and rushed right over. I said cut it short - short as can be. NEVER say this to a person wielding a razor or scissors who is awaiting sad news. As sure as can be, just as the hair was finished, the phone rang and she had to rush out. I did see the obituary in the paper the next day. I was very sorry for her loss and will tell her so when I see her in June or July when there is enough hair on my head to be cut. My hair has been standing upright like a Chia Pet in shock - remember the original Chia Pet which was a man's head that you planted grass seed on? Then the lovely green grass grew in an upright pattern on the man's head? Well, my hair is not green but you get the drift. I have not left the house in two weeks as I have what could pass for a modified Mohawk.

The joke to all of this is I did not look at my hair before I left the salon as I felt upset for my friend. I did go next door to the drugstore to have my passport photo taken but thank all the angels and saints, no one seemed to be available. (Thinking back, they might have been afraid to approach this wild haired woman.) I did not look at my hair until I got into the car and thankfully I was sitting down. I am so glad I did not have my passport photo taken.

Today was the first day the hair actually lay flat on my head so maybe it has grown a tad. Karen and Joe were good on Sunday as they did not stare at my head or smirk or laugh. I've decided if anyone makes any derogatory comments I will simply say cancer.
I know my hairdresser reads this blog and I hope that this does not offend her. I understand how upset she was and I should have had the compassion to wait another week or two for a haircut. I was sorry she lost her father and hope her heart heals with the love of her beautiful son and loving husband.

As you may or may not know, we had a lot of snow here Sunday night into Monday morning. Agnes Rose was here Sunday and enjoyed keeping her hat on. I think she knew the weather was going to be bad. I am inserting the photo and am not sure where it will land.

Meanwhile, hope all is good in your life.

Believe! Hope!
As always, love from me to you!

No comments: