April 26, 2009

Mother and Daughters' Day Out




Yesterday was about as magical and wonderful a day as it gets! It was one of those very rare days that happen when your children grow up and everyone goes in different directions living their own lives.

Karen and Kate decided to give me an early Mother's Day this year as Kate returned to Boston today. They treated me to the Broadway play, "Billy Elliot" as that has recently become one of my favorite movies. The logistics of moving me around the city (slug that I am) was resolved when Jack said he would drive us in and pick us up. True to his word, he dropped us off in front of the Imperial Theater on 45th Street and had the car in the same spot when we exited the theater hours later. How he managed this is part of the magic! Getting back to the play, it was thrilling - the music, the dancing. What I loved most, besides being with my girls, was that the staging of this musical was simple. It was sheer talent and story that dazzled. It did not depend on glitz to make it enjoyable. I guess there is a lesson in that somewhere if you care to look!

Joe and Agnes had just about finished cooking dinner when we got home so that was another great and fun surprise!

The only downer of the day, but a good thing to be found last night and not this morning or on I-95, was that Kate had a flat tire. Jack called Triple A and then arranged to have the tire fixed early this morning so Kate could be on her way back to Boston. Her school week off was different than New York's. Back to school tomorrow for her!

It is only April 26 and I am already tired of the heat! It's hard to tell I am a summer baby because I did not grow up to be a summer person. Frankly, I like a chill in the air!

Although this is the beginning of a new week, Karen, Joe and Agnes just left so in a sense it was the end of the week for me. Joe helped Jack do some work on Thursday and Kate babysat Agnes.....she babysat, I played. Friday, Karen spent some time with Kate shopping adding to the fun of the week. Ahh, life is good.

Today, we went to church where Fr. Bob gave another excellent homily and deserved the applause that Agnes gave him when he was finished. Actually, she clapped for the readers and the musicians, too. Give praise where it is due is her motto. She was happy as we had the "divide" seats and she had the widest space in church in which to perform. She sings, she dances, she claps. What a kid! When I was introducing Joe to some friends after mass, Karen came back in with Agnes (who had gone to find the cookies in the vestibule) and Agnes made sure they knew I was "Nana." I have to admit it does give me a thrill!

I am a little worn out from the heat and excitement today so I shall close now.

Hope you are all well and enjoying whatever weather you are having.

Believe! Hope!

As always, love from me to you!

No comments: