Ooops! I missed an entire month without stopping by to say hello to all of you – at least those of you who haven’t given up on my blog entries! I don’t know where the month of April escaped to but after all, it was only a 30 day month.
Driving along Bryant Avenue one day a few weeks ago, I really paid attention to the blooming of this spring. Maybe I paid more attention as I am so grateful for still being here to enjoy the beautiful greening of the earth. When I was younger, I always preferred the colors and scents of autumn. My mother always said she loved the spring best and I finally realize why that is. Spring is new life and rebirth. It is a time of joy and sunshine (mostly, notice I did not write this in April!) and the warming of the earth. The colors are vibrant and I realized that Ireland does not hold the patent on all the colors of green. The weeping willows almost laugh at the antics of the squirrels and birds as they begin their courtships. The cardinals come back to their nests all around our yard and I am awakened each morning by one particularly cheeky cardinal who seems to reside right outside my bedroom window. He does not know or particularly care that I am retired and can sleep well past the gloaming. Get up and enjoy this blessed day! he chirps. Sometimes I listen and sometimes I roll over and pull the covers over my head!
Easter was a day of great joy spent with Agnes Rose and Bernadette; Karen, Joe, Kate and Jack. We all attended mass at St. Peter’s then headed back to Joe and Karen’s for brunch. Later on in the day we took off for Eileen and Jim’s where we celebrated with the whole clan – and the little ones, Ava, Samantha, Agnes Rose and Bernadette (well, not Bernadette) all took part in a great egg hunt that Eileen and Jim provided all over their lawn. It was such a happy day for everyone.
Yesterday was Mother’s Day and we were back at Joe and Karen’s for a brunch. Agnes Rose delivered a big hug that was from Gramma (DeMerit) all the way from Wisconsin. I told Agnes Rose that she was a lucky girl to have two grandmas and two grandpas who loved her and Bernadette so much – and each other! She said she agreed.
A sad note to my day was a visit to my own mother in the nursing home. She has been a little more with it the past few visits so Karen and I took Agnes Rose with us. Mom was a little startling to see and Karen and I decided it was best to take Agnes Rose outside to play. I sat with Mom, holding her hand and listening to her ramble for awhile. It was very, very sad to see such a vibrant, beautiful woman in such a faraway place. She is almost 99 1/2 years of age and would not be happy to know she lived to such an age without her mental facilities. I guess I was expecting a miracle in that it is so disappointing not to be able to show off Agnes Rose and Bernadette to someone who would have loved them so deeply and enjoyed them so completely. Ah, well. Such is life. I will have to love and enjoy them for her.
On a happier note, my recent reports from MSKCC have been positive and there is no sign of cancer. I live with hope and the firm belief that continued prayer and the support of so many loving people will help me face whatever is in the future.
Happy spring! It has been a long winter.
Believe!
As always, love from me to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment